Why Omega-3 Is An Important Factor Towards Your Health
The many health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids have a list a mile long. Essential fatty acids play an important role in a child’s life for both their health and development. They should be incorporated in the very early years of a child’s life to help with vision and brain function. These essential acids also help by promoting a strong immune system, and help to strengthen the cardiovascular system.
Prenatal Health & Pregnancy:
Omega-3s are important for women to start when their child is in utero, and beyond.
- Growth- There’s plenty of evidence stating the importance of omega-3 when added to formula as it helps to promote growth and brain development.
- Cognitive Development- Studies have shown that infants who consumed omega-3 fatty acid DHA improved their hand-eye coordination, attention span, and higher intelligence scores. Pregnant women’s children who consumed supplements, also scored higher on tests.
- Preterm Labor- Studies have found a link between those who ate eggs enriched with omega-3 were less likely to go into preterm labor than those who ate regular eggs.
Children & Teens:
- Asthma- Inflammation is reduced in the airways when taking omega-3 fatty acids, which benefits anyone with asthma. Studies have shown that when children took omega-3 for a period of 10 months, they had fewer asthma symptoms
- Depression- Many adults claim that fish oil helps with depression and has been proven to help children significantly.
- ADHD- When testing children with ADHD, one of the factors is having low levels of omega-3s. Studies have tested children with ADHD, and after the suggested amount of omega 3s were consumed, their symptoms improved over a period of time.
- Diabetes- A small study took children who were at high risk to develop diabetes and found that those who ate high omega-3 diets were less likely to develop the condition.
- Cancer- A number of studies have concluded, people who take omega-3s regularly, had lower levels of esophagus, breast, colon, and prostate cancers.
- Cardiovascular health- Experts have found that fish oil when used as a supplement cut the risk of death from cardiovascular disease by 32%. Another study showed that people who consume fish more than twice a week have a lower rate of heart disease.
- Depression- Omega-3s have been proven to play a significant role in helping to decrease many forms of depression.
What's your opinion?